Welcome to GREATER PENTECOSTAL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST
 
 
730 North Cleveland Street,   Wichita, KS    67214  
PHONE: 316.262.7155
 
Back to Homepage
 
  Greater Pentecostal C.O.G.I.C   Elder Rondell Love, Associate Pastor of Youth and Worship Arts
Elder Clinton Moss, Associate Pastor of InReach and Family Life
Elder Dennis Fontelroy, Associate Pastor of Evangelism and OutReach
  Pastor Herman Hicks Senior Pastor
Mrs. Anadina Hicks, First Lady
Elder Rondell Love, Assistant Pastor
 


  Our Beliefs Our Pastor Our First Lady Our Founder & History Our Administration  
Pastor Cordia James (C.J.) Taylor
Founder  Greater Pentecostal COGIC

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

   
 
 
Our Beloved Founder of Greater Pentecostal COGIC

Pastor Cordia James (C.J.) Taylor was born January 3, 1915 in Luther, Oklahoma where he completed his elementary and secondary education. He accepted Christ at the young age of 15. He later moved to Muscateen, Iowa where he became a member of New Hope Baptist Church. On October 2, 1936 he married Agnes Alice Lambert. To this union was born three children.

In 1942, Pastor and Sister Taylor moved from Muscateen, Iowa to Wichita, Kansas. In the same year, Pastor Taylor began employment at Beech Aircraft as a Janitor and retired in 1981 as the first Black Employee Relations Counselor. On February 26, 1948, Pastor Taylor embraced the doctrine of the Church of God in Christ under the pastorate of the late Elder Major C. Cremo at Murdock Church of God in Christ.

In 1951, Pastor Taylor accepted his call to the ministry and served as the assistant pastor of Murdock Church of God in Christ under Elder Cremo. He also served under Elder Nolan Smith at Mascot Church of God in Christ and under Elder J. B. Alberta at Eighth and Wichita Church of God in Christ. He received his ordination from Bishop Charles Pleas in July 1958

While attending a consecration service at the International Holy Convocation of the Church of God in Christ in Memphis, TN, Pastor Taylor was inspired to build the Lord a dedicated place of worship for the community. While returning to his seat, he passed Mother Lovie Watson and proclaimed, "I'm going to build God a House."

On January 26, 1956, Pastor Taylor was installed as the Founder and Pastor of the church at 542 North Cleveland by Bishop J.B. Alberta. A great visionary, Pastor Taylor conveyed his dream to his small congregation, who dedicated themselves to making his dream a reality. On March 15, 1956 a building fund was established with ten dollars from Sister Callie Smith. On August 3, 1958, under the leadership of Pastor and Sister Taylor, the congregation marched from the storefront at 542 North Cleveland to the new edifice known as "Pentecostal Church of God in Christ" located at 728 North Cleveland. The sanctuary had a seating capacity for 250 people.

The congregation grew significantly over the years. Pastor Taylor envisioned a larger edifice to accommodate the growing congregation. On May 12, 1981, the Lord called home the lovely First Lady of Greater Pentecostal, Mother Agnes A. Taylor. Although hurt by the lost of his companion of over 46 years, Pastor Taylor kept the vision of building God a larger House of Worship. Construction of the new edifice at 730 North Cleveland began in June 1984, and was completed in December of 1984. The new sanctuary had a seating capacity for 650 people. On December 31, 1984, Greater Pentecostal Church of God in Christ was dedicated by the late Presiding Bishop of the Church of God in Christ, The Right Reverend J.O. Patterson, Sr. He married Rozlin E. Taylor on Nov 22, 1987.

Pastor Taylor was an astute churchman serving in numerous capacities at the local, district, jurisdictional and national levels of the Church of God in Christ. He served as a Jurisdictional Executive Board Member, Jurisdictional Chairman of the General Assembly, Jurisdictional Chairman of USAC, National Board of Finance Member, and Executive Committee Member of the National Youth Department.

Many souls were won to Christ under Pastor Taylor's ministry. He had a winning personality and infectious smile that drew people from all walks of life. Pastor Taylor was called home to be with the Lord on July 11, 2004. He left a legacy that will never be duplicated or forgotten!

 
 
     

 

 

 

 
 
HOME   |   ABOUT US   |   MINISTRIES   |   VIDEOS   |   EVENTS & ACTIVITIES   |   LINKS   |   REQUEST PRAYER   |   CONTACT US
Copyright © 2009-12 Greater Pentecostal COGIC. All rights reserved.